Tips to Help Keep Your New Year’s Resolution On Track
Every year it’s the same thing, “I’m going to get in shape and try to be healthier.” Chances are at some point in your life you’ve made this New Year’s resolution, and then quickly broken it. Stop the cycle of making a fitness resolution and then breaking it! To get you in the right frame of mind for the new year – it’s only a few weeks away! – here are some tips to help you stay true to your resolution and make a better you:
- Plan ahead- Don’t plan on starting your resolution on New Year’ Eve. If you have an idea for a great resolution, start now while you’re excited and willing!
- Be realistic- If you make unattainable goals, you’ll be more likely to quit at the first sign of seeing no results. It takes time and discipline to really change.
- Outline your goals- Write down what you want to achieve in a monthly list, and every time you reach your goal, reward yourself. Rewarding yourself doesn’t mean you can eat an entire bag of chips or indulge in another unhealthy behavior, though. Instead, treat yourself with a gift that keeps you motivated toward your goal. A new pair of Altra Zero running shoes makes a great reward. Other great ideas could be a new water bottle for the gym, or a calendar of motivational quotes to keep on your desk at work. You’re satisfying the urge to treat yourself, but also helping ensure you will keep working out!
- Track your progress- Keep track of every success, even if it’s small. Tracking your progress will help keep you motivated. Instead of focusing on losing 30 lbs, concentrate on the first five and work from there. Keeping a food or exercise journal is also a way to track your fitness goals, to make sure you’re eating enough and eating healthy while also building in enough time for exercise. Also, if you’re looking to change to a healthier mindset, think about keeping a happiness journal or gratitude journal. Write down at least one thing that makes you happy or that you are thankful for every day.
- Keep Trying- We’re human, and we all make mistakes. If you run out of steam with your resolution, don’t quit. Start over, start fresh, stay positive, and before you know it, you will be back on track.
HeartRateMonitorsUSA.com has all the tools you need to start a new fitness regimen. We can set you up with a new pair of running shoes, or a heart rate monitor to keep you and your progress on track. The time for change is now!