Staying Safe on a Summer Run!
If you’re an avid runner, chances are the summer sun and heat isn’t going to stop you from pounding the pavement. However, there are many safety precautions that should be followed when running in intense heat and sun. Before lacing up your shoes, and strapping on your heart rate monitor, consider the following safety tips for summer runs.
- It takes some time for your body to adjust to hot or humid weather. Don’t run at a high intensity at first, but instead start out slow and work your way back up to a higher intensity. Slow and steady wins the race.
- It’s no secret that hydration plays a crucial role in overall physical health. In the summer, proper hydration is extra important. It’s important to stay well hydrated before your run, and properly hydrate directly after. Bring a Hydration pack or water bottle along for your run to ensure you’re body is properly hydrated!
- Be aware of your body! Knowing the warning signs of heat exhaustion or other heat related illnesses is extremely important for summer runners. Much like staying hydrated, knowing your bodies warning signs can help ensure you’re having a safe run! Wearing a heart rate monitor can help you be aware of your vitals, but your body also has its own built in warning signs.
- Run early. Running early on in the day is a great way to beat the sun’s extreme heat!
- Sunscreen is extremely important for protecting your skin from harmful sun rays. Before hitting the road, be sure to lather up!